5.31.2010

Bye Bye Butterfly's

We got home from the dog show to see that 4 of the 5 butterfly's had come out of their chrysalis. There was 1 out before we left but they had all become pupa's on the same day, so I was pretty sure they would all hatch that day.

In all the years we have been doing this (I think this was our 15th year) I have NEVER seen one actually hatch out. I noticed that there was just one left and wandered into the kitchen to put things away. Emily called me and said "Mom, this one's shaking. I think it's going to come out."

I went to look and sure enough - it hatched. It really was quite amazing.

We released them that afternoon.
It was kind of windy, so they didn't stick around much. I should have been more patient & waited until a day with no wind to let them go, but I didn't want to have to bother with getting them food.


Jacob went first. Look at those grubby "little boy" hands.


Emily's did stay on her finger a little longer.


Poor little Janie had two attempts - but both times they flew away as soon as Rick put it on her hand.


The fifth flew away before anyone held it.
Maybe we'll do a second batch later this summer. I'll be patient & we'll let them go on a still day.


The irony is, I want them to fly away. Far, far away - so they don't lay their eggs on my plants.
No caterpillars in my garden please.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

Don't be too patient. We had such a cold spring and then Father's and Son's campout, so we had our butterflies for two or three days before releasing them. I was giving them the sugar water, but I think they were so ready to be out that they all took off immediately too.

Ruth said...

I'm amazed that you do this each year. They are some lucky butterflies.

Mum and Dad said...

I love that you do that, the children must learn so much about nature.

xx