12.30.2010

First Ski Day

I had hoped for snow over the break so we could get out to ski - and my wish came true! In the car yesterday on our way bowling, I said "Tomorrow we'll go skiing, if I can get a sitter." In the backseat Jane started to cry & said "I wanted to come skiing too." Confused I replied "You are babe - you're a big girl now." Jane said "But, you said sitter." I had meant for the dog but she is so used to being left behind she assumed it was for her! She was pretty happy to hear that it was Millie who was staying home this time.

I did get a dog sitter for the day, so we all headed out this morning excited for our first day on the slopes of the 2010 - 2011 season.

Man I love to see this. My family probably don't understand how happy it makes me that we are all skiing together. Deliriously happy!

{iPhone photo}

Since there are 6 of us (a lovely even number & a reason I wanted 4 kids) we split up into the "buddy system." Rebekah and Emily went off to ski together, which was a little unnerving for me. Em has only ever skied with one of us or an instructor before - but she's pretty good now & we gave Bek the whole "protect your sister with your life" speech and sent them on their way. We just told them to meet us at the bottom of Nutmeg run at 4:30pm. They had a great day & Emily had a wonderful time skiing with Bek, she said it was more fun than skiing with me! Rude!

Rick & Jacob were buddies and set out to ski all the blue runs on the mountain together - which they accomplished. Rick reported that Jacob skied in his usual manner - the faster the better!

Guess who I got as my buddy? Little, cute Jane!
She was SOOOO excited to be my buddy. She skied 2 days on our trip to Utah last February, so I wasn't sure how she'd do on only her 3rd day skiing and after a 10 month break. I gave her a quick reminder pep-talk about "pizza" and slowing, stopping, turning & then let her go. I am a big believer in letting them go by themselves & don't think they gain anything by being held up & guided. Better to fall but learn and get your balance than go down a million times being 1/2 carried. Anyway, she did great! She has such a fierce independent spirit & always wants to keep up with the big kids, that she went right at it. She only fell a few times. She remembered how to stop and turn and was even lifting up the safety bar and getting her tips up to get off the lift by herself by the end of the day.

 {iPhone photo}

This winter Jane & I will ski together one morning a week (which I previously did with Jacob) - to get her a lot of exposure & practice. Then, hopefully by next year we can all go together a little more.

Until then, I'm pretty content to be spending time on green runs with this little happy face!

{iPhone photo}

Things are looking good for this season. Hooray!

2 comments:

Tara said...

Wow, I'm impressed with all your skiiers. You'll have to teach me when I live closer to you again. It's been over 10 years since I've been skiing.

Ruth said...

I was going to use exactly the same opening sentence as Tara! It looks great fun but it's not for me 'cos (1) I'm a wimp and hate to be out in the cold and (2) I'm a wimp and scared of falling over!