Each year we love to decorate gingerbread houses. I used to make them - all big and fancy with stained "glass" windows. Then I got wise - all they care about it the decorating part of it. They don't really mind what the actual house is like. So now I buy the prepackaged one's. I hope one day to go back to making them myself - when the kids are bigger and I can have 2 minutes to myself to get them done! I have a secret desire to one day make a giant gingerbread castle & a whole village of little houses beneath it. Some day ..... for now, the kids just like having access to all that sugar!
This is a sight rarely seen at our place - and boy do they make the most of it!
Emily - really focused on her work.
One for the house, one for me .....
We were pretty sure Jane's goal was to load as much candy on as she possibly could.
Bek's snow covered roof & creation of icicles.
Rebekah molded a little dog (Millie) out of Starbursts. She said that she wished she'd done it all one color, but I thought it was wonderful!
Following her sister's lead, Emily made a molded Starburst snow bunny for her house.
I always think that the finished houses really show my kids personalities & style.
Rebekah's - kind of minimalist, and with something really creative that I wouldn't have ever thought of.
Emily's - really cute and carefully done. Makes you happy just looking at it.
Jacob's definitely shows his personality. I asked him if he wanted more frosting to add snow to the roof & ground around it & he said "It didn't snow here yet." When he stuck his guy on the side of the roof I asked why "He came out of the wrong secret passageway and almost fell of the roof ... but at least the crocodile didn't get him." (He later bit it's face off - and reported that it was an injury from the crocodile!) When the girls made cute animals, he made a rope for the guy to use to swing from the roof and escape. That's m'boy, doing his own thing & kind of in his own little adventure world.
Gotta love him!
Then there's our candy-a-holic Jane. She seemed to start off with a plan - but in the end just wanted to make sure that there was no candy left in the bowls or frosting in the bags - she just slapped as much as she could on that thing!
The kids get to eat them on New Year's Day!




3 comments:
That's a fun tradition that you have. I think I side most with Jane, the more candy the better.
We only ever attempted this once and the kids got bored far too quickly so I ended up doing it (but I secretly loved it!). I think they're all absolutely brilliant, especially Jacob's, so I'm going to give it another go next Christmas.
Love them! Especially love the concentration on the kids' faces.
Post a Comment