8.04.2011

Counties - Day 4

The last day of counties.
Bittersweet to think that she will not swim here again, or participate in swimming on a New York team again.

"Game face."


Backstroke.




She swam well in backstroke but didn't place or get a personal best. I always tell her it's great that she even qualifies for these meets - and it is nice when she gets to win occasionally but we can't win them all!

It's tradition that they always go to the theme park next to the pool on the last day of counties. However, since they'd added the events from the first cancelled day, the meet didn't end until later than normal and only about 30 minutes before the park closed.

For the first time in 6 years, Emily's team did not win the county championship. The winners always get free entry into the park. We hurried over and tried to figure out the best way to buy tickets (seriously, I'm not paying full price for 30 minutes). I bought a cheap non-rider pass for us both so I could just pay per ride for Emily and we went in. Emily couldn't find her friend Aidan or their coaches - the jr coaches always go in and ride the rides with them. She did a few rides, we grabbed some fudge - she loves fudge - and we left. She was already pretty bummed they they hadn't won counties and then to not be able to have the traditional "after meet" fun that they always have was even more disappointing. I promised her we'd meet up with friends there again on a day when there was more time to play. It would have been nice to move away after a win, especially as the counties will not be held there anymore but probably a good life lesson for her. Even though I know it's a neccesary part of learning and growing it just sometimes breaks my heart to see them learn those "life lessons."

3 comments:

Ruth said...

That brought tears to my eyes. Kids do have difficult experiences and learn to cope with them but I can understand the disappointment.

Tara said...

See, told you, I'm crying now. When I was reading your last counties post I was thinking about all those poor kids who keep losing to Em and her team. At least someone else got to enjoy the victory but I still feel sad for her.

Emma said...

That is too bad that she didn't have a better final meet but I'm sure she has lots of great memories of meets there that she won't feel sad about it in the long run.