8.06.2011

Last Saturday

Today marks the start of our last week in our house. Each day we will be able to say "This is our last ______"

At this point, with the mess and piles of boxes, not buying any real food because I want to use up what we have and all the trips I am making to Connecticut for the building of the house - I just want to get it over with and be moved already!

I do know that as soon as we are settled, I'll miss it here - so I am trying to soak in the things I have loved about our house and our neighborhood as we go through our last week here.

After Swim Across America we came home to get some stuff I had to mail, and tile samples, etc. We left the 2 big girls to their own devices & took J&J. Jane was still repeating "I don't want to go look at tiles!" as we put her in the car. Sorry kiddos, today is just about getting things done!

We bought Rio for the iPad and they watched it on the way up. Thank goodness for technology and the boredom killer it is.

We first went to the granite place to look at a choice for the kitchen counter tops & island. We like the one named "Tiberius" that will please my Dad! I want to consult with the kitchen designer before making a final decision, so brought a sample of that and a few others we liked home. Then, we were on to the tile place a 45 minute drive away, so stopped at Subway for lunch.



I liked the first store for their selection and the nice way it was organized but the builder told us another place was cheaper. I like this marble basket weave. I'm thinking of it in a gray in our guest powder room.



We went to the tile place the builder had recommended.  Rick describes it as "a beautiful tile store ... after an earthquake" It is a jumbled mess but they do seem to have everything - once you can find it. It's cheaper for the same tile, so worth figuring out! Jake entertained himself on the iPad. Jane just drove me crazy. We need two iPads.


Then we stopped by the house to give the builder a check. Before starting the building they scraped all the topsoil into a mountain and weeds have grown all over it. The kids think it is the BEST play area ever, and really needed blow off energy by the time we got there, so I was thankful for it.




The stonework is almost finished on the chimney's.


Rick at the far end of our backyard. (See the little blue figure in the woods?)


They started putting on the roof and it's fun to be able to get more of an idea of what it will look like when it is finished.


And the windows have been delivered.


The second best play area is the sand pile at the house. Who would have though that construction sights are so much fun??


It's great to be able to actually see rooms now and get a sense of flow from one room to another.


I love the dormer windows!


As we headed home it started raining. We got home and ordered pizza for dinner. Then it was baths & bed for everyone. I could barely keep my eyes open and fell asleep lying next to the kids. I only got up long enough to take out my contacts & put on pj's & get right back into bed.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

This is like our very own family version of "Grand Designs" that we get on TV over here. I don't envy you all that running around, choosing materials etc. Fun on a small scale, I guess, but I'm sure it will be worth it. I cant wait to see the finished version ...

Tara said...

I love watching Grand Designs too and that's what I was thinking about looking at these photos. It's fun to see them and to know it's all finished now - you must be relieved.