
It's October, and that means it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Statistically, one woman in eight will get breast cancer. In my family, I have a mother, five sisters, a sister-in-law and myself.
Eight.
It's a sobering thought, and that's not including my 3 daughters, my future sister-in-law (when my baby brother decides to settle down), my future daughter-in-law, cousins, friends, or all the women on Ricks side of the family.
Last weekend was "race for the cure." I'm hoping that by next year my knees will be in good shape, and we'll skip out on church and join it.
In the meantime, I wanted to encourage all the women I love to do regular breast self exams. Start this month, and do them EVERY month. Not sure how? No problem, the Susan G. Komen, site has a great video tutorial, and all the information you'll ever need - check it out HERE.
You can even order a free BSE (Breast Self Exam) card for yourself. I gave these to all my family a few years ago - and for a long time when I'd visit, I'd see them hanging in the shower, but they've begun to disappear .... so here's the chance for new one's guys!
See, so now you have no excuse to delay any longer.
This post is dedicated to my dear friend Margo, (whom I met in Nepal 35, years ago.) Margo, I'm so glad you fought. I'm so glad you're still with us. I love you.
3 comments:
Thanks for the reminder about self examination. I like the links to the sisters blogs although you should know that the link to my blog goes to someone else's - my blog is thefarhorizons.blogspot.com
Cute picture of the kids in matching pjs.
I left my card in the shower in Utah and I've been really bad at remembering since I've been here! Thanks for the reminder. I send my love to Margo too :)
Tania - in an effort to help all women in the world, I have watched the videos (couldn't they have used a cuter model?). Now all I need is a pink t-shirt that says "I give breast examinations."
Post a Comment