2.17.2008

Valentine's

I LOVE Valentine's Day.
It's my second favorite holiday, and I have a lot of traditions associated with it. It all part of the February happiness that I've posted about before.

Growing up in England & Australia we never gave Valentine's out to a mass of people - a Valentine was significant, and rare. I like it better here. Generally, I think everything is a bit "over the top" in America, and usually it bugs me - but not for Valentine's. Excess is good for this holiday! What's not to love about a day focused on love? So great to have all those good feelings, and to be able to tell others how much you appreciate their friendship.

The crayons were a hit, but we didn't make that many (I'll do more next year), so Emily gave out these for Valentine's. Super easy & cute. I print them out, and then use my giant cookie cutter to trace the heart shape. I made caramels and gave them out. Cute little bags for a few friends,
valentine take-out boxes for the people I visit teach.

Jacob gave out little sacks of hugs & kisses (because I still didn't think I was making lollipops at that point!)
I did a few sacks of caramels for Emily too - for her teachers, etc.
We also have a FHE lesson each year just before Valentine's about loving our neighbours, and make cupcakes and deliver them. The lesson is mostly the Good Samaritan story, and this year we tried to think of 3 families that we typically wouldn't take treats too (just because we don't know them as well) and took them to them. So, if you're used to getting cupcakes from us on Valentine's and didn't - we're sorry & we still love you! (sorry, forgot to take cupcake pictures.) We also took sugar cookies to some other families we love.

The only thing I didn't do and had wanted to, was make some red-hot frosting. Fortunately for me Heather made some for book club, and the cupcake I had there was perfect!

Rick and I have never given each other Valentine's gifts. He always brings me flowers, and usually some good quality chocolates, and he brings a little treat for each of the kids AND we usually go to dinner, but no gifts. I didn't want gifts because I didn't want this day to become commercial or to be about what we were getting, or stressful because of what I was giving. I just want it to be about spending time together, and having fun as a family...

Then this year Rick said he really wanted to do something for me. Sigh. I know, bad attitude. I asked him to do something that wouldn't really cost money, something that I really needed. He came through BIG time.

He got together with the kids and they gave me a card. He gave me one too. Inside each card were a ton of little coupons he had made. Things from the kids like "good for one dinner with Rebekah" (or Jacob, or Emily) "good for 1 free night of babysitting" "good for one chore around the house." In the card from him the coupons said "good for 4 kid free hours" "good for 2 hours or ironing" "good for one back-rub" and a few others I won't mention ... They were perfect and made me cry. (You would never guess it, but he really is quite the romantic.) Things I really need - help around the house, time with each of the kids one-on-one, time with Rick, and time by myself. Things that money cannot buy, things of true meaning that will require actual effort to deliver. Things that really make me feel loved.

I am one lucky gal!

10 comments:

Jeni said...

Ahhh, good for you Rick! That's what wives and mothers love.

Erin said...

We've been fighting over the caramels at our house. I keep telling the rest of my family that they are from MY visiting teacher, so they are MINE, but they still eat them! yummy

Ruth said...

Lucky you! I got 20 gorgeous deep red roses, which were a big surprise. All Gordon got was a special dinner, candles on the table - but we had to put the light on to see what we were eating!!

Liesa said...

Ah, I love that Ruth. Lucky you too Tan.

Allison said...

you are the energizer bunny. (and he's pink too.)

Mum and Dad said...

Since Mike just came out of the hospital, I bought him a Valentine's Day tub of special ice cream (Nielssen's frozen custard, actually). Trouble is, he wants to stick to a strict diet, so I just had to eat it all myself. What a shame!

Sara said...

Well, Tania, Valentine's Day is one of myt LEAST favorite holidays. I think they just stick it in there so you have something between Christmas and Easter to make you spend more money. I'm very "Bah! Humbug!" about Valentine's and think that all the candy the kids are expected to give out at school (and then get in return) is a waste of energy, money and health! I was reading through your blog with my very Scrooge-like attitude, muttering "Bah, humbug" under my breath, and then I got to the paragraph about Rick's coupons and it was like a visit from the ghost of Valentine's present. Very sweet Rick - you almost redeem the holiday for me.

Emma said...

Thanks for the Valentine that you sent Maya. She really liked it. She's told me several times about which cousin did which part of the card.

Corinne said...

I think I may have to steal the pencil idea next year.

sara said...

those caramels were delicious.

i want to hear more about this red hot frosting. there's a man on his laptop next to me in bed right now that would really, really enjoy that (i think).