2.06.2010

Sing Your Heart Out


We bought our first DVD player for Christmas 2000. Our first DVD was Annie. In fact, we came home from the birth center with Emily, just a few hours old, and watched it that evening (then went to bed at 7:30pm - I was tired!)

I've loved Annie as long as I can remember. Growing up, no member of our family could ever say the word "tomorrow" without my mother bursting into song ... 

Rebekah watched that DVD a million times, then Emy, Jacob watched it a little and now Jane has discovered it. I have to say that she is probably the one who loves it the most. She quotes it - seriously my 3 yr old is quoting a movie! So, Jane and I have been singing at the top of our lungs for a week.
We are having so much fun and I am in heaven.

OK, so you should know that I am a terrible singer. I think it really unjust that I could be given such a love of music & get so much enjoyment out of singing - and be cursed in such a way. Don't you think that people who are bad singers should also not like it?

I remedy this problem by singing in the car. I belt it out with the volume turned up like I was Celine Dion. I've always just assumed the volume of the music masked my inadequacy ....

Last night we took a quick drive to deliver valentines (since we 'll be skiing in Utah for the next 2 weeks.) The kids were watching Annie on the DVD player and it came time for "Tomorrow." I started to turn up the volume;

Emily started to tell me something "Just a minute Em."
"But, Mom..."
"Emy, just a minute - let me sing this song and then I'll talk to you."
"Mom, I'm asking you the question now to stop you singing the song."
"What!!!"
"Mom, it's really embarrassing."

Yeah, so I guess Emily's going to be taking the bus from now on!

7 comments:

Karen said...

I too am completely out of tune but I also love to sing. If I'm not actually singing along to music and can hear myself, I'm quite shocked at how bad it is. Who cares - it's good to sing no matter how painful to others. I must dig out our Annie DVD.....!

Ruth said...

That is so funny. I never imagined you embarrassing your kids in any way! And - I don't think Karen's singing is all that bad ...

Liesa said...

More than singing I love to dance and my boys are constantly rolling their eyes at me for shaking it around the house as I clean. It's great exercise!! I do sometimes catch my reflection and get a rude shock!

Tara said...

That's great. I say keep belting - kids need a healthy dose of embarrassment.

Corinne said...

Oh, that is so funny, and sounds like a story I could write any day.

Cathy said...

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow, it's only a day------ away!!!

In----- my room, in------my room, in my room, in my roooooom!!

Oh yes, I remember it well. I love to sing and dance around the house still, it puts me in a good mood.

Go ahead, sing your heart out.

Mum

Emma said...

I can't sing either, but Maya doesn't seem to care. We love Annie too. It's a classic!