My plan was to ski with Jane one morning a week this winter - like I did the past two years with Jake. We have been super looking forward to it and planned to go on Friday mornings (she can really only last a couple of hours before she's tired.)
One Friday we had a snow day, another a 2 hr delay due to bad weather, one it was just way too freezing to take a 4yr old out .... it's ironic that we've had all this snow, but the weather has prevented us from making it up to ski.
This week I looked at the weather forecast & decided Thursday morning was it - we were due for more snow Wednesday afternoon / night, but it would be clear & a toasty 32 degrees on Thursday morning.
So, I recruited Bek to watch the other 2 in the event of a snow day or school opening delay and geared up for some time with Jane.
The morning was perfect - clear and not too cold with LOTS of fresh snow. It was a little more crowded that it usually would be on a weekday morning - thanks to all the school closings, but we had a great time.
It was only Jane's 4th day ever of skiing and she makes the most beautiful turns & is doing really well at stopping & slowing herself. I took out the video to get some of her doing such a great job, when she had this spectacular tumble! I instinctively turned off the camera when she fell to go get her, but I wish I'd kept it going because she went one more time head-over-heals & then stopped on her back laughing & saying "I hurt my leg." I hauled her up & off we went again. It's why I love skiing with kids - they take falling so well!
I pulled out the camera again to get some more (when she had a slow start) and then the battery died! Oh well, we'll have lots more opportunities to get more footage. Here's the little bit I got.
I love skiing, but I really love skiing with my kids. Sharing something with them that I love is so much fun and spending some one on one time is priceless.
7 comments:
After multiple attempts to ski, I got to about where Jane is - falling over frequently on the bunny run - and haven't been back for about 10 years. I decided that if God wanted us to ski, he would have made us with 6ft long flat and shiny feet. This is the only way - start them young, because you can't learn over 50!
Dad
o. my. gosh. how CUTE! oh I can't wait to make for annual trips to Utah with my family where the snow is great. AZ- not so great. I am excited to take them. Maybe next year I will take Zane? Love the 1on1 idea for lessons.
So cute. I just wish skiing wasn't so expensive.
Once again, I'm full of admiration. Love the way she "turned" with a little jerk of her body!
You are really blessed to be able to have lots of one-on-one ski time with your kids. I'm with Corinne.
Oh, and I was also going to say that one thing I've learned from watching You Tube clips is that you always keep filming!
I need to get some of your enthusiasm. You're great to put so much effort into your kids enjoyment. Just the drive to the ski resort would put me off. It's nice that you can share this with them.
Post a Comment