2.23.2007

The Week in Review

The kids had this week off school. I had wanted to go to this indoor water park in the Pocono's, but when I called they were booked out - so we decided to do some day trips here instead.
On Saturday we all went to see "Night at the Museum." The plan was for Rick and the girls to see the movie, while I shopped at Target with the little one's and then went home for naps. As we pulled away from dropping off at the movie Jacob started crying and saying "Go with the guys, go with the guys." He was so sad to be left out, so I went back, bought a ticket for myself and we all saw it. It's probably the last movie Jane is invited to for a while - she slept through some of it, but is probably getting to the age where she can't sleep through them anymore.
On Monday, of course, we took them to the American Museum of Natural History. We used to have a membership there, and I took Rebekah all the time - but hadn't been in years. I guess I underestimated how great my little one's are - they really enjoyed it. Rick and the girls went to the planetarium while I browsed with the little guys. Jacob loved looking at all the animals, and finding letters he knew in their names. That night as I was tucking him into bed, I asked him what his favorite thing was. I thought he'd say the dinosaurs, but he said "Emblapence." I tried to think if we'd seen an ambulance anywhere, when I realized he was saying elephants - cute.

Emily has been really interested in space lately, and I thought she'd enjoy the planetarium, but she said it was boring. Rick and Rebekah enjoyed it, so I'll remember that for next time. After the planetarium we had a bad lunch for $46. Next time I'll make sure and take our own!
Then we saw the dinosaur skeletons, animals, the Native American exhibit (Emily was exited to see people like Kaya), the big blue whale and made our way to the "Pacific People's"
They had a small display on Aborigines, and the kids saw the replica (and I'm pretty sure, smaller) Easter Island head. We left in the afternoon as it was starting to really get crowded, and went out for dinner that night. Jane had her 1st garlic mashed potatoes, and thought they were heavenly.

On Tuesday I thought we'd just stay home and get stuff done here, but by 10am, Jacob was bouncing off the walls. It was cold outside, and I was thinking "Someone should invent an indoor playground." Then I realized there is such a thing - at McDonald's. So Emily, her friend Caroline, Jacob, Jane and I headed there for lunch and to blow off some energy. It was our 1st time there and Jacob LOVED it. The kids played, while Jane and I hung out. It was great, but next time I don't think I'll get lunch there. We eat fast food occasionally, but McDonald's always makes me feel sick after eating it. I especially try to avoid it since seeing "Super-Size me." Next time I think I'll just get them a shake, so we've purchased something, and eat lunch at home.

Wednesday Jacob had another hearing test in the morning. Rebekah stayed home with Jane and Emily went to a friends house to play. This was a place that was supposed to be better than the last. They were great with Jacob, and he was really good and co-operative until about an hour into it when he started saying "Go home." By then, we were almost finished, so not too bad. He hears well, which I had thought - but we just wanted to rule out the possibility that a hearing impairment was effecting his speech. He does have some fluid in them, but we'll go back to the ENT to see if he thinks it's significant or not.

On the way home I stopped at Lakeshore for a few things I needed. Cold-Stone Creamery is just down from there, and I took Jacob for an ice-cream. I think I have completely underestimated the importance of 1:1 time with him. I've been consciously trying to make a date with each of the big girls each month for a 1:1 activity, but had thought that Jacob is always with me, so he didn't need it. I was wrong. It was great to be out with him, minus Jane. We had fun sitting eating our ice cream and talking. I'm glad we have swimming lessons to go to without Jane. He is a darling boy, and I'll try and be sure to have more time alone with him in the future.

At the hearing place they gave him 3 Curious George stickers. When we got home he put one on himself, and gave one to Jane and one to me - isn't he sweet? Then he told Jane about our ice creams, and played "ice cream" with her.


I am really enjoying seeing them play more together, now that Jane is a bit bigger. She just worships Jacob, and squeals with delight at his antics. They are becoming good buddies, and giving me hope for the future that they will eventually entertain each other and I can get stuff done.

Emily got home from her morning play-date in just enough time for me to drop she & Jacob off at Gabby's while I took Rebekah to the Dr. We waited a while to go in, and Jane got called "he" several times, so I guess we won't be repeating this outfit again. We crawled back through rush hour traffic to pick up Em & Jake and home for dinner. It was my birthday (thanks for everyone who sent cards or called - it's nice to be remembered.) Rick came home and we had cake and opened my gifts. I got the new flash for my camera that I have been wanting, and am very excited to use it - I just need Jeff to give me a tutorial!

Thursday we went to the NY Aquarium. Jacob has been obsessed with feeding the fish we are currently babysitting, so I thought a trip to the Aquarium would be a good idea. I left my camera in the car - and couldn't be bothered going back for it, so sorry, no pictures. The Stanley's came too & it was great fun. It wasn't at all crowded, or even that cold. We sat in the front row during the show, and the kids all got a sea lion "kiss". Jane is just getting to the age where she is noticing & becoming interested in animals, so it was fun to watch her. She clapped in the show whenever anyone else did. Jacob was really excited to see the sharks. One opened it's mouth as it swam past us, and it was all he could talk about (& demonstrate) later that evening.
After the Aquarium, I made a trip to Costco for food, but boy was I ever glad I went because when I got there OUR TV WAS BACK IN STOCK!! It was all I could do not to throw my arms around the box and weep at the joy I was feeling. Rebekah opted to pass on the Aquarium, and spent the day working with her band "The Dark Muffins." She had a fun day too, I picked her up on the way home from Costco, we hurried through dinner & getting the kids into bed and then Rebekah and I hooked up the TV. We got it done 5 minutes before Rick walked in the door and 2 minuted before Grey's started. It was SO GREAT to be able to watch TV in our basement again. (Firedog will be here Monday to hook up the surround sound & make sure everything is working properly.) So it ended up being a really great day.

Friday mornings I have a babysitter. I ran a few errands (still amazed what I can do sans kids) and got to work in my office. If you don't know me very well you should know that I am a neat-freak and a germophobe - my office is my secret shame. It hasn't been really clean or organized since I had Jacob. Every now and then I get close, but then I get behind again & there are papers all over the floor, and I can't find anything I need. Hence the babysitter - this was my second week with one. My goal is to have it clean and organized by the time the kids get out of school for the summer (yes, it really is that messy!) The idea is, of course, that I will get the office under control and be able to use Friday mornings to do something for me - so I'm pretty motivated to work on it as much as I can.

Olive & Maude came to play in the afternoon, and Emily had a great time. She has such great friends. Jacob was just going down for a nap when they arrived and was devastated to think he'd miss out. I assured him they would still be here when he woke up. All of them played really nicely when he did wake up. He is such a social boy, so much like Emily in that way. It was a great day of getting things done - and the kids had fun too.

Saturdays around here have become one of the most hectic days of the week. They are the great errand days, but I always feel obligated to try and do something as a family, since it's our only day all together. This Saturday we decided to just get a bunch of stuff done, and I feel like Rick and I really tag-teamed well. He took the big girls to clean the church at 8am, while I stayed home with the babes and changed all our sheets (a Saturday task), then I took Emy (& Jane) to primary activity at 10am, while he took Jacob for a walk and Rebekah started her laundry (also a Saturday task), we left the primary activity early to get Emily to a birthday party. While at the party, I dropped the car off for an oil change, tossed Jane in the stroller and walked to the store for a few things I needed. We picked up the car, and headed home (Emy got a ride home.) I handled lunch and naps, and re-making of all the beds, while Rick took the car to get new tires. After naps Rick played with J & J while I took Emily to buy a few new clothes for our trip and then dropped her off at a friends for a play date. After her play date we cleaned up a little, got dinner for the kids and bathed them and put them to bed. SO, when Kathryn e-mailed for a girls movie night, I was happy to go, feeling like we'd accomplished a lot that day. I took Jane, since I couldn't quite convince Rick to keep her - but the other 2 littlies were in bed, and Rebekah was babysitting, so Rick had a quiet night to himself too.

Today was a typical Sunday. We almost made it to church on time. I have hope that we will be on time in the near future! The 11:30 time slot we're in now is killing us, but Jacob seemed to handle no nap a little better today, and actually stayed in nursery the whole time. I even managed to get to Relief Society - so things are looking up.

So there it is - a blow-by-blow of our "winter recess." It's snowing right now, and there's talk of a 2 hour delay for school in the morning. People around here flip out when it snows. I'm a little sad to send them back to school - the week went by quickly, but also looking forward to being back to our normal routine.







5 comments:

liz said...

happy be-lated birthday!

Anonymous said...

And a belated Happy Birthday from us, too! Karen, Dave, Ben and Eleanor xx

Mumsy said...

I'm so sorry I missed calling you on your birthday! I also send you many Happy Be-lated B-day wishes.

So much fun to read about your week. Your family is always doing so many fun things together. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Hah, we were following you around this week -- we went to the aquarium Friday and museum of natural history Sunday! Yes, the food there is awful.

Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Cool! Sounds like you had a great week! I really wish we had a museum like that around here. How fun for you!

And happy birthday! :-)