9.24.2007

Update on Rebekah

I have instructions from Rebekah not to blog about her, or put pictures of her on here, or talk to my friends about her ... you get the picture.
Yet, lest you all think that she was kidnapped by the gypsies, or that we stopped loving her months ago, I thought a brief (picture less) update would probably be OK. I'm pretty much going on the "I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission" principle.
I think she would probably 1st like me to point out that she is now taller than me. We all knew it was coming, since I'm already the shortest of all my siblings! I thought that day would also bring sharing of clothes - forget it - there's no way she'd be caught dead in my stuff, so the closets remain separate.
Rebekah started 9th grade - which is high school - this year. She is taking 2 honors, and 1 AP (advanced placement; which means she gets college credit) classes. She has such a great attitude to school, and is MUCH better at being on time than I ever have been (she must have learned that from Rick.) She is also in "Players Club" the drama club at school again - and loving every minute of it. In the interests of her having a more self-directed life, we agreed to her dropping piano. She wasn't loving it, or diligent in practice, so it made sense with her new busy load at school. I am hoping that the skills she has will be enough to pick it up again, if she ever desires to.
The biggest change this year is that she also started early-morning seminary. She has had a really great attitude about it. Rick takes her at 5:45am, and then comes home to leave for his train. I leave with the little kids at 6:30, to pick her up and take her to school. We're still figuring out how to get a good breakfast into her with this routine (usually she grabs an apple, and some milk), but so far it seems to be working well. It may get more challenging in winter when I have to bundle up the younger 3 to leave the house (I just carry them to the car in their pj's now - oh for an attached garage ....) Still, I think Rebekah and Rick have the harder jobs, so I'm trying not to whine.
We really reduced her household responsibilities through the week (to accommodate her schedule) but increased her Saturday tasks, and booked her 2 nights a month for Rick and I to have a date night (we will pay her for those.) So far it all seems to be working well. She really is a great kid, and has a had such a positive attitude so far this school year, and is lots of fun to be around. Way to go bek!

8 comments:

Sara said...

I love that girl! And it's great to hear about her.

Anonymous said...

We have always counted ourselves among Rebekah's biggest fans. Give her our love.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear some news of Rebekah. I've been thinking about her lots lately. Rebekah, if you see this entry, I love you! And I'm really impressed that you're doing an AP class in 9th grade! I didn't do my first AP until 11th.

Liesa said...

I agree with everyone else. It is so nice to hear about Rebekah! It is hard to remember she is only in 9th grade because she is so mature and capable. Welcome to seminary. We only have 3 weeks left until Jordan finishes his first year. Yay! That means no 5.30 mornings for me either!

Corinne said...

Good to get an update on Rebekah. I always knew she'd turn out great--ever since she was quoting Star Wars and Lois and Clark with me and Emma when she was three! Love you Bek!

Anonymous said...

i was totally surprised and impressed that rebekah is already taking an AP course. . . and then i remembered her six years ago in primary, when she was already smarter than me.

way to go rebekah!

Tara said...

I think it's great Rebekah is still able to drama with her busy schedule.

sara said...

are you going to have to change the name of the blog to life with ejj? or maybe you could call it life on the ejj.

bek is definitely one of my favorite people. always has been, always will be.