6.18.2008

Last Day Of Soccer

Third in our series of "lasts" was Emily's last day of soccer. Again, she did well this year and really learned a lot.

Emily has such a great attitude, and that has really come out during her sports. She gives 100% all the time. I love to see that kind of tenacity, and know it will serve her well through her life.
As we watched her play someone commented to me that she's very good and such an aggressive player - and that you wouldn't think that from knowing her (she is a very sweet, patient and gentle child.) I mentioned it to Liesa (my sister) - and she summed it up perfectly. She said people say the same thing about her when she plays rugby and that she's not aggressive, she's competitive. That's describes Em perfectly.

Emily is a very competitive player. Other kids just walk off the field if they get hot, or thirsty, or just want to sit down for a minute. Even thought the game is mid-play! Em plays hard, and never gives up. In fact, she often gets frustrated with the other kids for their lack of effort. The only complaint I ever heard from her throughout the year is "no-one's helping me."

She prefers not to be goalie - she likes to be hunting down the ball - but sometimes it's a nice break & a way to catch her breath.
Water break - thank goodness.
I really think sports are important for kids. It helps teach them teamwork, responsibility & accountability (to the team) and a good work ethic. It's also great to see them expend that kind of energy and get all that exercise. I admit, I'm also really happy for Rick that Emily likes it so much, and has talent. It's great for them to bond over.

Great season Emily. I'm excited for you to play soccer with cousins this summer!

3 comments:

Jeni said...

That's great. McKinlay has had the same frustration with team-mates. My kids will love to play with her this summer. We have a great goal and Mark bought a rebounder so your ball bounces back to you.....it's cool.

Tara said...

Good job Em. I like her long hair.

Liesa said...

Tania Emily is looking more and more like you as a child. Same attitude too!