7.06.2008

Foodie

Emily loves to cook, and watch cooking programs on TV. Often, during her free time, I'll walk into the basement to find her watching the food network - it's her favorite channel.
I love it - so much better than cartoons!

Last weekend, I noticed that she was also writing down the recipes. They were so cute I took a picture of her notes (then explained how we can actually get the recipes online.) I'm happy to have her keep copying them down though - what great writing practice. Here's another one I found. Maybe for cinnamon, raisin cookies (she obviously gets her spelling ability from her Mother.)
I decided that she should be able to make dinner once a week for our family. I want her to be able to do as much as possible by herself. We'll start with letting her pick a recipe, then do as much as she can with me. My plan is that I will gradually decrease my involvement, until she can make a meal without any help at all.

I was standing by for this one, and helped (mostly with the pastry) a little - but she did almost all of it with just a little direction.
Making the pastry.

This recipe makes 3 crusts, so we saved 2 to freeze for later. (I did the rolling.)
She learned how tough it is to cook when you have "little helpers" to contend with.
Every time Jacob arrived she said "Jacob, this is just for Mommy and me to do."
I promised him he can help make dinner tomorrow night.

She even went outside to pick the fresh rosemary from the garden to cook with the red potatoes. When she came back in she said "rosemary always makes chicken taste good too." Where does she come up with this stuff? I love it!
She clearly pays attention when she's watching those shows - I put the pie crust in front of her and told her to put the potatoes in the bottom.
She put them in like this & said "This is my favorite way to do it."
Then she added the ham & cheese.
She cracked the eggs into the bowl, measured & added the milk & seasoned salt, and whisked it. Then she poured it over everything.
I showed her how to set the temperature on the oven, and 40 minutes at 400 degrees later - viola!
Just look at that flaky crust & light, fluffy quiche.
Great job Emily. When you're on "Iron Chef" I'll be able to say I ate your very first meal when you were just 7 years old.
Burp! It was pretty good. The best part of all?? Emily is a very picky eater, and has never eaten scrambled eggs, omelet, quiche or the like ever! She actually ate about 1/2 a piece of this one she made. Maybe next time I'll have her make something with fruit ....

8 comments:

Mumsy said...

I love all of it!

Ruth said...

Mmm ... it looks delicious. Well done, Emily!

Brooke said...

This is so funny because my Ellie has been doing this very thing! This morning she was trying to write the recipe for a cucumber soup she was watching on Food Network! She has been making breakfast several days a week and just wants to cook all day long. Too bad we are so far away--I think they would get along so well! I am trying to convince Ellie that doing the dishes is just as much fun as the cooking!

Jeni said...

I'm glad it turned out and maybe that's the secret to getting her to eat a wider variety of food, making it herself!

Liesa said...

Good job Emily, looks yummy. I love that my boys don't like cartoons either. Bailey was off school sick last week and I asked him if he wanted to watch cartoons and as I was chanel flicking with him, he asked me if we could watch Battlefield Detectives (where they investigates battlefields from the past to determine why certain people won or lost based on the conditions etc). He sometimes watches it with Andrew. I stayed and watched it with him for about 10mins and he was thoroughly absorbed. Hey better than roadrunner!

Tara said...

Oh great, Emily's a better cook than me. I've never even made my own pastry shells - I just buy them. She's pretty impressive.

Emma said...

That is so great! She is welcome to come and stay at my house any time!

Corinne said...

Well done, Emily. Can we have the recipe?