10.06.2008

A Job for Wittilda



I have a wooden box in our living room, next to our most comfortable chair. It's full of books, and I change the contents each month. In October it holds all our Halloween books. My dear friend Gabby (the famous Design Mom), gave us the great idea last year to read our Halloween stories every night in October by candlelight. The kids LOVED it, so we're making it tradition.

I have a set of tall candlesticks in the dining room, so we read on our big chair-and-a-half and I move them over next to it. There are 3, which is perfect because three little people like to each blow out a candle when we're finished.

So, here's our first Halloween book review. "A Job for Wittilda" by the wonderful Mark & Caralyn Buehner (the same delightful pair responsible for a few of our other favorites like "Snowmen at Night", "Fanny's Dream" & "It's a Spoon, Not a Shovel.") I picked this up when I was at the library today, and it was a huge hit.

Wittlida the witch has 47 cats, and is running out of food for them, in fact she is down to just one dried rat - so must get a job. After a failed stint in a salon, she finds herself competing for job delivering pizza's. The dilemma comes when she must decide between racing back to wim the job, or saving a cat in need.

Emily in particular, thought it was just hilarious. I love any story that shows witches as soft hearted and kind, so enjoyed it too.

Pick it up at your local library, and read it to your kiddo's by candlelight - they'll love it.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I love those authors as well. We just might go to the library today, and I have the rotating basket of books but hadn't thought of the candlelight. My kids would LOVE that. Thanks