On the eve of each of my kids birthdays I find myself thinking of the birth of that child - the anniversary of that special moment. The moment when they left my body, ceased to me all mine and I had to begin to share them with the world. The consolation for giving them up (apart from relief from pregnancy,) is that I start to discover who they are and what they will bring to our family.
Here are a few of the things I have learned (and love) about Jacob over the past 4 years -
He is very affectionate, and is always the first to give hugs, kisses & snuggles.
He needs to learn things for himself - (no matter how many times I say "Please don't bang on the window screen, it will fall out" - he will keep doing it until it falls, and then look surprised that it did.)
He is very social, and loves to play with others & make friends.
He has inherited my tendency to obsess over one thing almost to the exclusion of all else (sorry buddy.)
He is attracted to water. Really. Pool, hose, ocean, lake, river, stream, running from the tap in the bathroom. He loves to play, splash, and generally make a mess in water.
Even though play might often get rough with his sisters, he is the first to defend them against an outsider.
He is strong and athletic and loves to run, swim and play soccer.
Jacob's smiles are delightful, but if he's really pleased with something, he'll give a little tight- lipped grin.
He really likes to be outside. Really, really likes to be outside - as in 6am in his pj's in the rain outside.
Which reminds me - there is no lock, door or barricade that can hold the kid. He is Houdini.
He loves to eat. He really enjoys his food - he relishes it as he eats, and often makes little approving noises. Feeding Jacob is rewarding.
He wears me out every single day, and brings me new experiences and so much joy I think I could burst!
I have this picture on my desk. It's one of my favorites, because it reminds me of the feeling in our house at that time. I think it can be best described as pure bliss. I think that it comes after the birth of every baby - that wonderful feeling of newness, and joy. When you let everything else be unimportant, and revel in your newborn. Somehow with Jacob that feeling seemed intensified. We really were all so delighted he was here, and the whole family just focused on adoring him. When I look back over some of the most beautiful times in my life, October 2004 will be right up there with the very best of them.

5 comments:
Lovely post, Tania. The picture of Jacob at the top is full of mischief!
Happy Birthday Jacob!! We hope your day is so fun. I love the picture of Jacob. It's crazy how fast time flies. Hard to believe Brinley, Collin and Jacob are all 4years old.
Happy Birthday for yesterday, Jacob! Hope you had a great day and lots of fun xx
So sweet!
I'd say I hope he had a good birthday but I don't think it's possible that he could have a bad birthday after all you did for him. He is such a cute kid and so full of character. I really love that first picture too. Did you take it or was it professionally done?
Post a Comment