1.04.2009

Sixteen


Rebekah is 16. I cannot believe it - wasn't I just 16 last week?

I am so thankful to have bek in our family. Here are some of the things I love best about her -

She is super smart - definitely smarter than me.

She has the greatest, whip-fast sense of humor and can verbally spar with the best of them.

She is the best tech support ever and rescues me frequently. I cannot tell you the number of times I've had to have her re-size the pictures in my iPhoto after J&J have been banging on the keyboard - AND - even though she shows me how to do it on an almost weekly basis, she doesn't get mad that I can't remember.

She is trying to teach me how to text. (It's hopeless.)

She has the greatest music library - but even better then that - it's all also in her head! No matter what's playing I can ask her and she'll tell me the title & artist - and all the lyrics too!

She is a great student. She's independent and totally keeps track of all her school work, assignments, and staying on top of things. She HATES to miss a day of school. She definitely didn't get that from me - I pray for snow days in June!

Which brings me to another not-inherited-from-me trait I admire - she is always on time (when I'm not involved.) She hates to be late, and really freaks out when we are.

She is the worlds best babysitter. Although she swears she's never having kids (fine by me) she adores babies, and is almost never without a borrowed one in her arms at church. She is cool enough for bigger kids to like her too, and is proficient in Wii, Xbox, PSP, you name it.

She has read almost every book on the planet, and remembers them - plot, characters, minor details. Book discussions with Rebekah are great.

She has a great general knowledge about the world. I know I'm probably biased, because I am her mother - but I think she is far better informed than your average teenager. She reads every issue of TIME cover to cover, she follows politics, and international news. I'm so proud of her global interest, and that she cares about the world around her.



Rebekah has a quote on the wall in her bedroom that reads
"I don't need any doors opened for me, I plan on kicking them down."

I have no doubt she will.

12 comments:

Tara said...

She sounds smarter than me too. I love that picture of her. I always wanted dark hair and blue eyes. I'm also very jealous of her great memory. I can read a book and two weeks later I've already forgotten the details. The benefit of that is you can read it over and over and still be surprised. I hope she had a great birthday and I'm glad she's part of my family too. By the way, I love the quote.

Jen I said...

Such a beautiful picture of her. Do you take all these amazing photos of your kids? I'm impressed at her world knowledge. Sometimes I still have to remind myself to keep up on that.

Ruth said...

Congratulations on your 16th, Rebekah. Beautiful AND clever!
(Tara, it's so reassuring to know that it's not just this oldie who can't recall all the details of books shortly after finishing them!)

Sarah said...

Love her! What a great kid. I can't believe she's 16 either!! I want her to mentor my kids when they hit teenager-hood, it sounds like she is every parent's dream!

Karen said...

She certainly puts me to shame on the intelligence front! Happy 16th Birthday, Rebekah. Gorgeous photo.

sorensen formula said...

You have such beautiful pictures of your kids! I can't believe she is 16 already. It seems like yesterday you were planning that splendid playhouse that you built for her at your parents and we were discussing it at PCMC. My how time flies. What a beautiful young woman! You are a lucky mom!

Erin said...

sweet, sweet 16. glad we got to see you bek, but still disappointed we didn't get to put you through a spanking machine.

Allison said...

daaaaaang you look good Bek. Happy Birthday. It's good to see you grace this blog occasionally.

Emma said...

I hope you had a nice birthday, bek. I'll just add my praise to the rest of them - I think you are super too!

Liesa said...

What is Time magazine?

Just kidding. My reading is mostly school permission notes and recipes. I think it is great Bek is so well read. Yes, and I too love the photo. Beautiful!!

Corinne said...

Gorgeous! But no matter how old and clever you get, I'll always want to quote Lois and Clark with you!

Sara said...

I know this is really late. I have a break from school this week so I finally have a minute to catch up on some family blogs. We're glad we got to see you on your birthday, Bek. You are gorgeous as ever.