For Emily's Eighth birthday party we went to American Girl Place, with 8 little girls (7 friends + Emily.) I think Rick was "bracing" for the evening, but I was giddy with joy - I love girlies!
Emily, of course, was super excited.
We all met at the train station and took the train in - the girls lined up their dolls while we waited for the train.

They were so cute, talking and giggling and playing with their dolls. We had 3 church friends, 3 school friends & one swimming friend. The beauty was that everyone there knew at least one other person (other than Em), so I was hoping no-one would be left out.

Just to be sure that everyone got to know each other, I made little slips of paper with questions on it for them to pass around on the train.
What is your favorite food & why?
What would you like to be when you grow up?
Do you play any sports?
What is your favorite subject in school?
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
What is your favorite movie & why?
If you could be a Super hero, which power would you want to have & why?
What is your favorite animal – do you have any pets?
Where were you born?
Rick said it was un-neccesary "They're eight year old girls, they'll have no problem talking to each other." He was probably right, but the questions were a hit, and I felt like it helped them get to know each other better by the time we got to the city.


Once at Amercan Girl Place we went to the Cafe, and the girls all ordered, then we played a few more games (at the table) while we waited for our meals.

Then we ate.
The food is not spectacular - but it's decent, and the girls love the whole experience.

Emily's choice.


Then they brought out the cake and we all sang her "Happy Birthday."

I had checked the train schedule before we left. They run every 1/2 an hour. I had planned to get the 6:55, but we didn't even finish eating until after 7. I thought that even if we really hurried to the station, we would probably miss the 7:25 anyway, so made the decision to walk calmly and get the next train at 7:55. We did just that, and got to the station only to realize that after the 7:25, the trains start running hourly. Sigh. The girls sat on the benches and played with their gift bags, while we called parents to let them know we would be later - and see if those coming back to our house still could, now we were an hour later than I thought we would be.
I'm sure they were all tired the next day - but still chatted animatedly on the way home.
For anyone who could handle the late night (made later) we had a "late over" afterwards. It's like a sleep over, except you go home late instead of spending the night.
We watched the "Kit Kitteridge" movie and ate lots of popcorn and candy.


It was so late (11:30pm) when everyone had left, that I wanted to send Emily to bed, but how could I make her wait until morning when this wonderful stack of gifts was there for her - so we let her open them.

Emily had a GREAT time!
4 comments:
Scout had the time of her life!!
I want to go there! I have a whole heap of un-nurtures girlie needs that need taking care of. Besides that, the cake looks so yummy. I'm glad you all enjoyed it.
That sounds like so much fun.
You are a heroine taking so many children out by train. The party was obviously a big hit and Emily doesn't even look tired at that late hour.
Post a Comment