11.18.2006

Blue Hill at Stone Barns


So, last night was our big anniversary night out. I finally decided to just leave Jane with Rebekah, and hope they were OK. I wasn't sure which one I would be more anxious for - but gave Rebekah the "reassurance" that "We'll be back in 2 1/2 hours. The worst that can happen, is she'll cry for 2 1/2 hours."

I gave Jane tylenol & put clove oil on her gums (in case teething woke her up), I gave her mylicon (in case gas woke her up), I put saline in her nose, and baby vicks on her chest (in case she was stuffy & that woke her up.) I held her from 7:30 - 8:30pm and nursed her as full as I could get her. I left a bottle of expressed breastmilk, and a bottle of sugar water. Jane was cozy in her bed and I felt good that I had done everything I could to try and get her to sleep until just before our return.

We left at 9:30pm. She woke up at 9:43pm.

Oh well. We have long said that our kids have "mommy radar" and can tell the minute I leave their vicinity, and wake up to search for me! Rebekah reported that she wouldn't take either bottle and cried, then slept a little, then cried more, slept a little, cried more, etc. We got home at 1am, and she was sitting in the living room on Bek's lap watching a movie on her laptop!

Once I decided to leave her, I figured I might as well just enjoy the evening, and not worry about her. So I did. The night was wonderful, and a welcome & much needed break.

My blog isn't a food or recipe blog, but I'm just gushing over this
restaurant. The food could have been mediocre, and I still would have had a wonderful night, because the location was so beautiful (it used to be the personal dairy of the Rockefeller Family.) But that wasn't the case, the food was INCREDIBLE. There's something so wonderful about eating food you know was grown using healthy practices in the same place you are consuming it. I'm also a sucker for any menu that features lots of fresh vegetables. We had to wait over 1/2 an hour to be seated so they brought complimentary champagne, and apologized - but we told them we didn't drink. So then, (even better) the kitchen sent out complimentary side dishes throughout our meal. A cauliflower sampler, toasted beet burgers (the size to pop in your mouth) a shot of squash soup (no kidding - in a shot glass & the chef recommends taking it in a shot. So good!) Also, shelling beans in an arugula pesto. All so good. For our meal, I had a wonderful butternut squash tortellini with a pumpkin seed sauce, then followed that with brook trout, and brussel sprouts like I have never seen them before. The dessert menu made me think donna hay's "flavours" - listed as it's choices - "apples, pears, figs, chocolate, etc" - and then they brought a small sampling of the one you chose. I had figs, and then finished Rick's apples too!

Everything was delicious, and I highly recommend it to anyone in the area who can make it. We're planning on going again in spring, then summer - to see what they have to offer in each season. Also, the babe will be bigger then & hopefully sleeping longer - making her easier to leave! All in all a great night out.

6 comments:

Mumsy said...

That sounds marvelous. I'm going to have to go there sometime. What a great meal!

liz said...

you have inspired me to seek out a date night that isn't just to go to the temple! Time to find a gem in sf.....

Erin said...

i'm green with envy. for your experience, not rebekahs.

Kathryn said...

I am so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous-- I've read about this place and it sounds absolutely perfect!

Jenni said...

mmm...sounds worth it, and jane and rebekah were just fine...my kids have that baby radar thing too...i hate that!