12.07.2006

I Love Our Christmas Tree

This is not our Christmas Tree.

One day we'll build our dream house, and at Christmas time we'll put a tree in our living room that looks like the one above. All the decorations will be perfect, and co-ordinate. It will be tasteful, and well balanced. Yet, it will never be my favorite. My favorite tree will be in the family room. It will look a lot like the one we have now, because it will have many of the same ornaments - the one's I have made, things Rick and I have collected on trips, and the ornaments that mark "our 1st Christmas together" and each of the years the kids were born. There will be many (at least 4) popsicle stick picture frames showing toothless grins, and other creations featuring a lot of glitter glue. Each ornament will remind me (as they do now) of a wonderful moment in time, and as the years pass and their number increases the memories will grow only sweeter. So, I will be able to appreciate the living-room-perfect-tree, but it will never be the one I love.

Last Friday Rick came home early from work. We ate pizza and got the kids in their pj's. Then we played Christmas music and had hot chocolate & decorated the tree. Most of the ornaments are below 3', and most of them are on one side. There are clustering's of some, and huge vacant spaces too. I told myself I'd rearrange them later - but I may not bother. I will probably keep moving the "In Jane's reach" one's to higher, more empty spots - but I think it shows some character the way it is. It's a reflection of how much they enjoyed putting them on. Here are a few shots from that evening.

Jacob literally ran, back and forth between the tree & the ornament box to get them on the tree. He loved the lights, he loved the ornaments, he loved being able to put them on himself. I loved watching him!Rebekah putting on the angel.
Emily reaching "high."
Heartwarming.

3 comments:

Mumsy said...

It looks beautiful!

Jenni said...

i love the homeade trees much better too

liz said...

love the reflection of the lights onto the floor.