3.09.2007

Opposites Attract

So in my little car disaster yesterday, I was reminded how great my husband is, and thought I should post briefly about it.
Rick and I are really different to each other. Sometimes I wonder how we ended up married. We differ in political views, movie taste, musical taste, just about every kind of food there is, and quite often in parenting and family issues. Yet somehow it seems to work for us.
We are both very strong willed and competitive, and I have come to look at it like this - we balance each other out. Our children have a real shot at being nice, moderate people.
One thing I really love about Rick is that he is NOT a "coulda, shoulda, woulda" person at all. I beat myself up about the bad choices, mistakes or accidents that dot my history, whereas he just looks at the situation presented to us and what would be the best choice going forward. Never (despite 3 stolen wallets, tax forms I filed late, endless lawyer bills dealing with my ex, getting us refused entry to the Czech republic and now the accident - to name but a few) have I ever heard any kind of finger pointing from him. He has never asked "What were you thinking?" or pointed out the expense of my actions.
His calm and rational approach to tough situations really helps me to be a little more even keeled, and more than anything not wallow in guilt. When he's gentle & forgiving with me, it gives me permission to be gentle & forgiving with myself.
I need to try and learn more of that from him. Thanks Rick, you're the greatest!

No comments: