
I promise I'll get around to pictures & tales of our Australian trip ... eventually.
This evening I went to the Tribeca Film Festival for a special screening (to benefit "Friends of the Birth Center") of "The Business of Being Born."
If you know me well, you know that Natural Childbirth is my second religion. These days I'm too busy working around Rick and the kids to do much for me or devote myself to things I am passionate about. I need to change that. Rick works LONG hours and is essentially unavailable Mon-Friday. (He is great when he's here - he's just not here much.) Anyway, that is not likely to change any time soon and I can't wait 15 years for him to retire to be able to have personal time, I need to replenish my soul on a regular basis.
In that vein I bought the tickets before we went to Australia, thinking that Rick could maybe come home early, or I'd get a sitter, so I could go. Well, with everything that we've been up to lately, I forgot all about it until I got the e-mail reminder late last night. Rick is in Indonesia until May 12th. My 1st instinct was to think I would have to miss it. The tickets were not cheap - for a movie - ($40 each, and I had 2) and I REALLY wanted to go. Rebekah was babysitting for Erin's kids - but if I skipped the post show Q&A and cocktails (easy since I don't drink), I could be home before she left. So I went. I wish I could have found someone to come with me - but I'm sure they sold the spare ticket - a net benefit to the birth center & that makes me happy.
I purposely took the train in so I could read on the way there and back (& it's cheaper than parking.) I had 4 1/2 hours to myself and enjoyed every minute of it. The film was really good. If you get a chance to see it you really should. I'm hoping it will be picked up by PBS at some point. I saw a bunch of people that I used to work with, when I worked at Elizabeth Seton (before it closed in 2003), and had a great experience watching it with a whole packed theater of people who believe the things that I do about women, birth and health care in this country.
I felt bad Rebekah was left alone with the 3 little kids for dinner & baths, etc - but I will pay her handsomely for her efforts. I actually did try to find a second babysitter so she'd have help - but didn't have any luck on short notice. Jane was happy to see me to nurse, when I got back. I was surprised that I really felt like I missed her. I think this is the longest she & I have ever been separated? Maybe about the same length of time once in Australia. Anyway, she's fine, all is well and I will be a happier Mama tomorrow for it.
No matter what your feelings are about natural birth for yourself, this is stuff we should all know ... and teach our daughters about. If you get the chance - see this film.
1 comment:
Glad you got time to yourself connect with something you are so passionate about (whoa you SO deserve it!).
My neighbor has a nanny come 2 times a week so she can take a little mommy break (a class or go running- anything she wants to do alone). I think it's a sweet deal I hope to work out when I have more kids.
Post a Comment