5.10.2007

Mommy Math

Sunday & Monday
1 husband in Indonesia for the past week
4 kids at home
14 hours straight of constant vomiting
8 hours of diarrhea too
for 2 of those 4 kids
0 sleep
1 hour waiting in the Dr's office
1 trip to the ER
2 IV's
that took 4 sticks to get
8 hours of getting re-hydrated
2 kids vomiting more on car ride home from ER
623,000 loads of laundry (it seems)
1 dear friend bringing Pedialyte & staying to fold laundry
= One tired Mama
Tuesday
1 more night of missed sleep
2 static-y phone calls from husband
1 missed swimming lesson
another 24 hours of puke & poop - not slowing
1 chinese take-out dinner
2 more calls to pediatrician
many prayers
= no clean sheets or towels around here
Wednesday
1 kid who stopped vomiting
1 who still is
2 kids still with diarrhea
1 more call to Dr
(they're going to start blocking my number)
1 bottle of expensive pro-biotics
1 kid who won't take it
2 neighbors bringing me groceries
1 visiting teacher taking Emily to tennis
3 washed car-seat covers
1 friend coming to help with laundry & car-seats
4 phone calls from others offering to help
= maybe we'll make it
The kids are asleep now. No one has vomited for about the past 6 hours. I am feeling hopeful. Rick should be home on Saturday. He had all his stuff stolen (wallet, passport, laptop, keys, cell phone, check book, etc) FROM HIS LOCKED ROOM at the Four Seasons. It's been a mess. Each time he's called me to try and be sure stuff is cancelled, I'm holding a puking kid & I'm no help. The worst part was that he had a memory stick in the laptop that had all our personal account information, and passwords on it (kids college accounts, house savings, retirement - everything.) Someone followed the porter to his room, said they were a friend picking something up for him, and the porter let them in!! Ridiculous.
Is it just us, or do other people feel like their lives are careening out of control? I used to feel very pro-active about my life, now I just feel like everyday I'm in survival mode!

12 comments:

Emma said...

All this drama! I'm glad you've got some nice friends there to help you out. I hope the kids are all feeling better soon and you get some rest. I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Tania,

We got $300 dollars stolen from the bottom of our bag when we were in Bali - in a private villa with a guard outside the compound door - in a country that stones people to death in the street for stealing. I'm so sorry you and Rick are going through all of this.

Anonymous said...

Oh Tania - I feel so sorry for you. I hope the kids are much better by now and that Rick gets home safely...and soon! I knew something must be up because it's not like you not to post something on your blog more regularly. Hope you get some rest. Karen
x

NessaAnn said...

Oh, dear! Hmmm, posts like this really make me wonder how much I actually want to reproduce. I may have been the whiz at college but do I have the stamina for THIS kind of math? Yeesh!

Speaking of which, look at me! I found your blog! Wow, you are SOOOOOOOOOO COOOL, Tania! I guess only seeing you once every couple years managed to hide that fact from me. And here I thought I was the first rebel natural birth/homebirther in the Dowdle Clan. I'm happy to deed the title over to you :c) Your blog also puts me much to shame. No more whining. Low quality output gets what it deserves! And I don't even have projectile vomit to blame it on!

That risotto soup looks fantastic, btw. I may have to reschedule my shopping trip for the week just so I can go get a lemon...

liz said...

wow Tania that's a rough week. A really rough week. I wish I was there to take the non sicklings and do some laundry for you (I would even iron it all just for you!)

Zane just had a tummy flu for 6 days- I can't imagine adding another kid to the mix with that illness and all other things going on in your life! One trick I loved was putting half a pedialite pop in his sippy cup of water telling him it was 'juice' as he gave up on the toast, water and pops on day 2.

I can't even think of the logistics of an ER visit!?

Rick's situation on top if all of that almost (almost) makes it a story that could be rather comical in about 6 months when you look back... Ok, probably not.

Mumsy said...

And you haven't called me because.....

THAT SUCKS!! (I don't say that word.)

I am going to call you.

Allysha said...

Oh that's horrible. Good luck! I'll send a prayer your way to help you keep afloat!

Kathryn said...

Even though you are having a horrible week, you amaze me with your positive attitude and your "can-doitness". First a 23 hour flight by yourself and now this week. You are an inspiration of just plugging through despite it all...

Brooke said...

I don't even know what to say! vomit will end-eventually--but the stolen stuff and the crap that comes with trying to fix everything, yikes! Suddenly my mundane yet crazy life seems somewhat more bearable-so thanks for sharing-and I love the creative way that you wrote it! I hope you have an excellent week next to make up for it!

eryka said...

You deserve an awesome Mother's Day present. Good Luck with everything.

Erin said...

You know, even with 2 puking kids and a husband out-of-town, your house is still cleaner, more organized and you are more on top of it than I am on a good day. You're amazing to be handling this all by yourself.

Anonymous said...

It's you. Just kidding -- but good grief, what an awful week! So sorry this all hit you at once. Bleh. But it sounds like your sense of humor has survived, which means well for all. Hope the vomit-free stretch is holding!