5.16.2007

Happy 1st Birthday Jane

Our sweet little Jane turned a year old today.
I know this is so cliche to say - but I really can't believe it's been a year. Last night at dinner I wistfully said to Rebekah "A year ago today she was still inside of me." Bek replied "That is disturbing on so many levels." She may not yet appreciate the emotions of motherhood ...
My only consolation is that I really feel like I am enjoying every minute of her (OK, not really last week, but every other minute.) She is just a sweetheart, and a smart little cookie too. Her personality seems to be a great mix of my other kids. She has Emily's tender and sweet side, Jacob's mischievous nature and love of the outdoors, and Rebekah's sense of humor.
She is now taking several steps at a time (6-7) and climbing on everything she can (but doesn't know how to get down, so cries until I rescue her.) She has started signing, and signs bird, more and milk (for nursing). Bird is her best sign, and the one she does the most, which is funny, as it was a later sign for the other kids.
She adores her big brother and sisters and lights up when they are around. She doesn't want to be left out of ANYTHING they are doing. She recently figured out that Dad is the best vehicle to get outside, and clings to him when he is around.


We got this cute, funky cake from Riviera bakehouse. The "candles" are made of chocolate (the kids fought over them), so we added 1 pink candle for her to blow out. Emily and Jacob "helped" her to do it.


Jane liked her cake. She started gingerly with her fingers, but soon abandoned them for the more direct method of bowl-diving.

This is what she looked like by the time she was headed to the tub. YUM!

Jacob was very helpful when it came to opening her gifts. Lucky she has a big brother to show her such things. If she's really lucky, he might even let her play with some of them.
Emily gave her the same Playmobile 1-2-3 boat that Jacob has (to help avoid fights) and Jacob still went to bed with it in his hands - and one of the balls from her ball-bopper (which he thought was the greatest thing ever.)
Fortunately, she's used to him - and getting better at holding her own.
The surprise hit of the evening was this gear set from my parents. She LOVED it. It has small gears that you can position anywhere on the board, then you push a button at the bottom, and it plays music and then turns the gears at the end.
Every time the gears turned she clapped and made this excited little face -
I only hope the rest of my time raising this darling little girl will be as wonderful as this first year. I love you Janie!

5 comments:

Mumsy said...

Happy Birthday to both of you!! A year is such a milestone. I get emotional just thinking about it.

She's really grown up since I saw her last. Such a pretty little girl.

That cake is awesome. I drove by there the other day and wanted so badly to go inside.

Anonymous said...

Lovely cake -- and lovely little lady! Happy b-day to the fellow Taurus!

Kelly said...

I look in occasionally at your blog. You have beautiful children. What fun your trip home must have been. Congrats on your little one's first birthday.
kelly stewart

Kathryn said...

Happy Birthday sweet girl. Looks like you had a great celebration. I love your cake!

Laura B. said...

Loved that cake!!! Isn't it amazing how fast the first year goes?!