OK, so while I'm posting, I thought I'd put this picture up. This is how my poor boy spent most of last week (when we weren't washing him off or at the ER.) He lost 3 1/2 pounds. He previously weighed 34lbs - that's 10% of his body weight. Can you imagine losing 10% of your body weight in 4 days?
He was SO lethargic, and miserable. Actually, we all were! Good news is we're all doing much better. Yesterday as Jake chased Emily bugging her she said "I want Jacob sick again." I guess she liked him immobile - not me. Give me the energetic little spitfire Jacob any day.
I had recently mentioned to Rick that maybe his little trip to the hospital during my pregnancy with Jane might have been premature ... maybe I would have liked 5 kids. I think I could have had 5. (Rick, of course, was horrified at the thought.)
This past week helped me realize - I have my hands full. Home alone with such sick kids made me really appreciate single parents (I was one for 4 years - but only to 1 kid which was much easier.) I also have a greater appreciation for my kids general good health, and those parents who have kids with a chronic illness. I am comfortable with knowing our family is complete. Rick work a lot and travels quite a bit too, this family suits our lifestyle.
Most days it's just me and the kids - and 4 suits me just fine.
4 comments:
A family of 4 kids in Australia is considered really big. It's really only us "religious types" who opt for that many. I'm glad Jacob is feeling better (although I'm thinking that diet sounds like a good solution for me - 4 days of misery might be worth the slim results!)
Four kids is a big family here too, but I do run into lots of people who have 3 or 4 (usually at activities my kids are in - not so much in the city - which is why we left the city.)
Even here in good old Utah if you have more than 4 you get that "look" from people. I have actually had perfect strangers tell me--not ask me-but tell me that I am done. A lot of people give you that pity look--you poor thing with ALL those little kids, as if it just "happened" to me. Get over it people, some of us actually WANT children! (on a good day anyway!)So good for you for having four! You are doing a great job:)
Yesterday in the grocery store, an older lady came up behing me in line. She looked at Jacob & Jane and said "Oh, aren't you lucky? They're beautiful." I said "Yes, I am very lucky, becasue I also have two older girls at home." She just gushed over them the whole time we were in line, and kept saying how lucky I am. It made my day. I'm going to start saying that to people I run into with a bunch of kids.
Post a Comment