This morning when I woke up, I decided I'd had enough of the pine needles and took down the tree. So, I thought today would be an appropriate day to do a catch-up post about this years tree.
We always put our Christmas tree up on the 1st of December. In Brooklyn, we always had a real tree. The same guys would come down from Canada and we'd take hot chocolate to them, and Rebekah would practice her French, and we'd pick out our tree. It was wonderful.
Then when we moved here, had a garage to store a tree in AND they now make them pre-lit, so we bought an artificial one. It was a good tree, but I did always miss the great smell of a real tree.
Well, this year we got the tree out to put it up. It was Saturday, and we'd had a busy morning, but had a couple of hours before the ward Christmas Party to decorate the tree. After it was up, we noticed that the bottom section of branches were drooping, and also wouldn't light. So made a quick decision to scrap it (4 good years was reasonable), and go get a real one.
If we'd planned better, we could have gone to a tree farm, and cut our own. Instead we headed to Stew Leonard's for one.
They bundled it up for us.
That night Rick and I set it up, and added lights so the kids could decorate it in the morning (so much for that whole 1st of December tradition thing ....)
This is how they "helped" the next morning.
I'm glad I decided that, because Jacob & Jane moved them around all month long. Jacob frequently popped things other than decorations in there too (plastic animals, mail, a sock, etc.)
So now I'm trying to decide for next year. I loved having a real tree, for the smell, and it is really beautiful. Yet, it is a hassle to put on the lights, and it does make a mess. Hmmm, I'll have to keep thinking about it and decide. Have you had both? Which do you prefer and why?
2 comments:
What a perfect tree! If you have a family room we like to have the fake prelit tree with nice matching ornaments in the living room and a real kid decorated, kid ornament tree in the family room--this is the tree the presents are under Christmas morning and the kids love it and I still get my "pretty" tree in the other room!
I grew up with fake trees for the most part and I guess when you don't remember any better, you don't notice the difference (so you could switch while most of your kids are still young!). I've been thinking about this question too though - especially when I see them all on sale after Christmas(although we have yet to get a tree in our married life). Seriously, would you be totally lame with a fake tree and some pine tree air freshener?
Post a Comment