1.05.2008

Jacob's Christmas Confusion

The morning after we put up our Christmas tree, Jacob came racing down the stairs and gleefully looked under it. His shoulders instantly drooped, his whole body sagged, his face fell. He said "Santa not come." I stifled a giggle. I "Oh Buddy" I explained - "Santa doesn't come until Christmas Eve - it's a long way away. Many days. We're just getting ready."

Fast forward to the next morning - a repeat of the previous day. Oh boy, I thought to myself, this is going to be a long month. The bigger girls didn't have this issue. I don't know if 23 days of disappointment is worth it! Then I remembered the advent calendar. A VISUAL reminder of how long until Santa came. We looked at it a lot that day, and talked a lot about putting on each piece.

We went over (many, many times) that Santa would not come until we put the star on the top - and promised that he could be the one to place that piece. He made the connection. He totally got it, and was SO happy to watch them all being added to the calendar. When he got to put on the star on Christmas Eve he was positively giddy.
On Christmas Day we open Emily's birthday gifts after dinner. Jacob kept asking which one was his. We told him these were Emily's birthday gifts - like he got when he had his dinosaur party. He didn't get it. He couldn't understand why Santa had brought more gifts for Emily, and not him.

That night as he was going to bed, he asked if Santa would come again that night. I told him Christmas was over and we would have another one, but not for a very long time. "Like Halloween?" he asked. Yep. I think he understood that. Now that it is over, and we go out and about, he sees lights and decorations up (ours have all been down for days), and tells me "Dose people think it still Cwistmas." Man he's so cute! He has really enjoyed this season, but it has been quite confusing for him.

No comments: