Emily is a big chicken when it comes to riding a bike. My goal for her this summer is to get her off training wheels! To that end we went to the bike shop to get her a new, bigger bike. While we were waiting, Jacob hopped on one to try it out. I was planning on him still using his tricycle this summer, I hadn't even considered getting him a bike - (neither of the girls had one at three.)
Well, that kid is big and strong and he can TOTALLY ride the thing. So we bought it for him, and it has been love at first sight. He calls it his "fire bike" because of the flames on the body, and is thrilled with the matching helmet.
In less than a week he has learned to maneuver all over the place. He'll probably be off the training wheels before Emily! The only thing is - he's having a hard time learning to stop. The concept of back-pedaling seems to be eluding him. When he was learning to ski his instructor told me he suspected Jacob was slow to do a big wedge, mostly because he liked going fast and didn't want to stop. I think it might be the same case with the bike. Rick says I should just let him get out of control and crash and then he'll want to know how to stop, but I can't quite bring myself to do that yet.
Any tips on teaching him how to back pedal to stop??
Here are some shots of our big boy on his bike, the day we brought it home.
Cool helmet.
Well, that kid is big and strong and he can TOTALLY ride the thing. So we bought it for him, and it has been love at first sight. He calls it his "fire bike" because of the flames on the body, and is thrilled with the matching helmet.
In less than a week he has learned to maneuver all over the place. He'll probably be off the training wheels before Emily! The only thing is - he's having a hard time learning to stop. The concept of back-pedaling seems to be eluding him. When he was learning to ski his instructor told me he suspected Jacob was slow to do a big wedge, mostly because he liked going fast and didn't want to stop. I think it might be the same case with the bike. Rick says I should just let him get out of control and crash and then he'll want to know how to stop, but I can't quite bring myself to do that yet.
Any tips on teaching him how to back pedal to stop??
Here are some shots of our big boy on his bike, the day we brought it home.
3 comments:
Fun. We recently took down Adam's old bike and put new training wheels on it for Luke. It's so great watching them get the hang of it. Usually the grass stops Luke because he isn't great with steering yet.
Jacob is really looking so grown up.
Tania, he is so cute. I think I find him so mesmerising because he reminds me of my own boys at that age. On the stopping question...My boys thought for years that crashing was how you stopped. Wide open spaces is my recommendation! He will be off his training wheels in no time. Jordy, Josh and Mitch were four years old, but Bailey was only three when he was riding without them.
Post a Comment