Mt. Rushmore
Keystone, South Dakota - Casper, Wyoming
Keystone, South Dakota - Casper, Wyoming
We had planned to stay a whole day and another night at Mt. Rushmore, but now that we were trying to get Rick back for the Saturday night flight, opted to hurry on to Casper, Wyoming that evening in order to try and make it to Salt Lake City the next day.
I was worried that it wouldn't be enough time for me there - but it was. I would still love to spend a long weekend there at some point in the future, and see other things around the town of Keystone. Hopefully we'll make a return trip when the little one's are older.
I LOVED Mt. Rushmore. The site probably benefited from my overall love of South Dakota, and the joy I was still experiencing being there - but really, it was great. The park is very well managed, and did not seem too crowded. Super clean, well organized and very easy to get around. It only cost $10 for our car to get in - and that's a year long pass. I wish we lived closer, because I'd surely go again.
Rick and Rebekah rented the hand-held audio tour devices, but I figured I'd be so busy keeping track of the kids I wouldn't use one. Every now & then Rick handed his to me to hear something interesting.
Gutzon Borglum - the sculptor of Mt. Rushmore. Did you know that he also sculpted the Lincoln Memorial in DC?
Bravo to Rick for knowing that South Dakota's state bird is a turkey vulture!
After lunch we piled back in the car and went to the crazy horse monument.
I have to say it was much less impressive. It was $27 to get in, just for the hour we were there, and it's not even finished! It actually doesn't seem like they've made any progress in the past 10 years (since unveiling the face.)
You can't really get close to the monument, and the museum was not all that impressive either. For a tribute to the Native American people, we didn't spot one Native American looking person anywhere there. I'm still glad we went, since it was on our way - but if we return to Sth. Dakota, we'll give this a miss until it's finished.
Then, it was onto Casper, Wyoming. We stopped in a small, small town at a grocery store to get dinner. I'm always fascinated by places like that & the people who live there. The lady in the grocery store knew we were traveling. I wondered how, until she called both people in line behind us by their first names. Oh, she knew we weren't from there, because she knows everyone in town!
South Dakota, you are beautiful. I will miss you, and be back someday.
South Dakota, you are beautiful. I will miss you, and be back someday.
2 comments:
Tania,
South Dakota is such a fun place, we went a few years ago and my kids still talk about how great it was. I am jealous you got to see actual digging at the mammoth site. When we were there, it was over for the year.
Looks like you're family keeps you pretty busy.
Marcie, from pcmc
I really enjoyed South Dakota when we went and we thought Mt. Rushmore was amazing. I agree that the Crazy Horse monument isn't worth it - it looks exactly the same as it did when we were there 5 years ago. I didn't know about the Mammonth site, that looks cool. Another great thing about SD is that they have the 2nd biggest cave in the world - it was beautiful.
Post a Comment