9.03.2008

First Day of School

It's the first day of school. Why is it that the summer months seem to race by? As I made Emily's lunch this morning, all I could think of was "It feels like I was just doing this. How have we had a 2 month break?"

Well, ready or not - it's here.

Last night we had a Family Home Evening on education and then Rick gave all the kids a Father's blessing for a good school year (Jacob & Jane are starting pre-school next week.)

I used this quote -

"Education is the great engine of personal development. It is through education that the daughter of a peasant can become a doctor, that the son of a mine worker can become the head of the mine, that a child of farm workers can become president ... "
- Nelson Mandela


I said the opening prayer & started to cry. I cried again at the quote and stayed weepy all evening! My tears were a combination of -
(1) Being sad to have them be away from me during the majority of the day. I miss them.
(2) Worry that they will be happy and safe.
(3) Happiness to see them learning, growing and developing.
(4) Gratitude that they have such great opportunities available to them to reach their potential - as there are so many the world over (especially girls) who do not have such a chance.

I pulled myself together in time to give them all lots of hugs and kisses and send them off to bed!

Rebekah started 10th grade. We still have that "no pictures of bek" rule in force around here, so you won't get to see her. Every time someone asks "What grade is Rebekah in now?" I want to say "6th", or maybe even "7th". How is it that she's in 10th grade already???? I think time is speeding up at an exponential rate! We had some last minute issues with her schedule - due to an unexpected time change in early morning seminary. Kind of a mean trick to pull a week before school starts, but I think we have a workable plan going for her now - only time will tell. She won't get a lunch period, but her ASR (Advanced Science Research) teacher said they can eat in his class, if they are careful & quiet. Phew!

Then there's my other big girl. Emily. All excited and off to 2nd grade. It's a new school for her (her last one was only kindergarten & 1st grade.) I always like to drive them on the 1st day. We walked up to the school together, and as we approached the playground she let go of my hand. I looked at her and said "You don't want to hold my hand?" She shook her head. "Don't want to look like a baby?" She nodded. Oh, it happens so soon. Far to quickly for me! At least at home I still get all the hugs, kisses and snuggles I need.

The great news is that I am one of Emily's class parents this year (there are two for each class.) Hooray! It's a lottery drawing, and I have put my name in each year, and not got it before. I am really looking forward to being more involved in her classroom. I don't really know the teachers at her school (Rebekah only went there one year), but I was told by someone else that her teacher is the one everyone requests - so that's got to be good. Emily is such a bright and well-behaved child, she will do well in any class.

All ready to head off for 2nd grade.
Jacob is really going to miss his big sister!
Have a great year my girlies!!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Those new teeth are beautiful, Emily!

Angela said...

Love that quote. Will have to use it for an FHE myself. I love the picture of Jacob hugging Emily and her face. So cute!

Tara said...

I was thinking the same thing as Ruth - how lucky is she!