11.17.2008

Jane's Big Bandaid

I was going to spend some time posting about our tenth wedding anniversary - but instead we were busy doing this.

While I was at swimming on Saturday morning with Emily, Jane jumped from the train table to the couch and broke her arm. It's a distance of about 2 feet - she must have just landed in a funny way on it. I'm always telling them not to jump like that - but because I thought they'd break the table, not a bone!

When I got home Rick said she'd been crying since she did it - about 1/2 an hour earlier. If we moved it or touched it at all, she screamed in pain. Suspecting it was broken, I immobilized it on a small Rubbermaid container lid with a loose ace wrap, gave her some ibuprofen and we took her to the ER to get it x-rayed.

They were very good, and we didn't wait at all - but don't these pictures break your heart!
They splinted it there (with a 1/2 cast thing), gave us pain meds and referred us to a pediatric Ortho guy for Monday (today.) "Don't let her bump it, keep her quiet" they said. Yeah - sure, no problem!

Stickers for her sling & a lollipop made her feel much better,
(the Tylenol with Codeine might have helped too.)
Today she went to the Pediatric Orthopedist and had a real cast put on, purple, her most-very-favorite-color in all the world. She calls it her "big bandaid."
And I bought her a new purple "my little pony" & fed her Tim Tams - so she was feeling pretty good by this afternoon.The Ortho doc said its not bad, and he thinks she'll probably only have to have the cast on a couple of weeks - phew!

Now we just have to locate some sort sleeved shirts. She doesn't fit her one's from the summer, and her long sleeved one's don't fit over the cast .....

10 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, bless her. I could cry myself looking at those first few pictures. Here's hoping it's a speedy recovery.

Dan and Heidi Dowdle said...

Those pictures make me feel so sad for her, but the lollipop helped! Sounds like we were both at the ER last week. Rylee had to get stitches in her chin. 2nd time this year for stitches. I love the purple cast. I hope she's feeling better!!

Tara said...

Poor Jane. I don't know if it was a good idea to give her Tim Tams after breaking her arm, she may try breaking another bone in the future just to get more.

Ruth said...

Poor little girl. I'm weepy myself looking at those sad pictures. Love the purple - did she get to choose the colour? Hope she's back to her normal bouncy self very soon.

Emma said...

So this is why you haven't email me back about the boots yet! Poor little thing. I hope she feels better soon. Where did you get the Tim Tams? Have you found somewhere to buy them over there?

Jeni said...

Sorry to you all! The pictures are all adorable but I did love the one of her on the couch with the cast and no shirt. It made me giggle

Karen said...

Me again, Tania. Not sure if I have your correct email address so thought I would say thank you on here for the Halloween package you sent to me. The kids and I are thrilled to bits - we've already chosen next year's designs! Once again it was really kind of you to think of us. Hope Jane is managing OK with her purple arm! Karen xxx

sorensen formula said...

The poor little peanut. I'm glad that she's okay. What an awesome purple cast! It will be a great fashion accessory, especially with her Sunday dress :)

Liesa said...

Oh Tania, poor Jane. I love the lollipop reaction too. I hope you have managed to find a shirt for her that fits. I told the boys and they send their love... they can relate to this kind of thing. We have had several couch to coffee table accidents. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Brooke said...

Oh this is just so sad! I love the lollipop smile though--and that purple cast is to die for!