1.05.2008

Happy Birthday Emily!



My sweet angel baby has turned seven. SEVEN! Really, time races by.

I try really hard to make sure her birthday is recognized, and separate from Christmas. We open birthday gifts after dinner. They are never wrapped in Christmas paper, etc. The part I think I always get a little lame on is the cake. She has always been happy with it, but I thought about it this year, and vowed to make a special effort next year. Even if I don't make it, I'll go to a good bakery and order one, rather than grabbing one at Stew's when I'm getting our other groceries.

She was delighted with her gifts. Favorites were the playmobile camper and clothes for her Bitty Baby to match Jane's and -

Webkin from Rick's Dad.
Tomie dePaola book from my parents. This is the same one we donated to the school library, in her name - so it's fun to have our own copy too.
Hannah Montana CD from Rebekah. Rick got a new iPod for Christmas, so we're giving Emily his old mini. Rebekah had promised to wipe it and start loading on her songs this weekend. 1st to go on??? Both Hannah Montana CD's, and the soundtrack to "Enchanted".
Also, mixes I have made for her over the past few years.
Emily, you are pure joy to be around. I am so excited that you like baking, and watching the food network and reading. I am happy you love crafts and sewing, and want to learn to knit. I think you like all those things independently, and not just because I do (though I hope I have influenced you.) I am so looking forward to spending time bonding over these interests as you get bigger. I appreciate how patient you are, and how gentle with your younger siblings (even when Jacob is pounding on you.) Your sunny attitude and willingness to please can make any day bright.

You are an amazing kid, and we are so blessed to have you in our family. What would we ever do without you?

2 comments:

Karen said...

Although I mentioned Happy Birthday to Emily on the next post about Rebekah, I thought I should really leave a comment on Emily's birthday post. Emily sounds as sweet as she looks - she's so beautiful. Happy Birthday! Karen xx

Brooke said...

My birthday is Dec. 20 and as a child we always celebrated on my 1/2 birthday--June 20. I had my party, special birthday dinner, all the presents. It was great-summer birthdays are always so fun! On my real birthday we would have cupcakes or something and sing--my grandma always gave me a gift on my real and 1/2 birthdays--totally unfair the the other siblings, totally great for me!Maybe Emily would like to try that--nobody wants a busy forgotten birthday! Sounds like you do a great job of keeping it special. But the best part of the 1/2 birthday is you get gifts every six months instead of just once a year!